what you need:
–1 lb of lean ground turkey meat
–1/2 cup wholewheat panko breadcrumbs (KewlTip: Panko breadcrumbs come from Japan! They’re a great choice for this recipe because they’re crispier and crunchier than regular breadcrumbs, meaning that the texture is awesome!)
–1/2 cup of diced white onion
–1 garlic clove, minced
–1/4 cup of low-fat Parmesan cheese
–2 tbsp of fresh thyme, chopped
–2 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
–1/2 cup of grated zucchini (KewlTip: Use a micro-plane grater to grate your zucchini very finely! The grated zucchini is a kewl addition to these meatballs – it adds amazing moisture without changing the flavor of the herbs and meat!)
–3/4 tsp of sea salt
–1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
–extra virgin olive oil (for spraying baking sheet)
what to do:
1. Preheat oven to broiler setting. Lightly spray a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil with extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
2. Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and mix with hands or a large wooden spoon until completely combined. (KewlTip: Don’t over-mix the turkey meat! This could break down the meat too much. Once all ingredients are just evenly mixed, you’re good to go!)
3. Using hands, roll all the meat into 12 individual balls of the same size. Place them on the baking sheet sprayed lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with extra virgin olive oil in Step 1 (see above), and space them evenly apart.
4. Place the baking sheet with the Turkey Meatballs into the oven, and broil for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until the tops of the meatballs are golden-brown. (KewlTip: Broil the Turkey Meatballs while the Tomato Sauce [see recipe for Tomato Sauce for Turkey Meatballs] is simmering on the stove-top!)
5. Take the baking sheet with the Turkey Meatballs out of the oven. Remove the Turkey Meatballs, set them aside, and discard the aluminum foil lining.
6. Place the Turkey Meatballs in the Tomato Sauce, and allow the meatballs and sauce to simmer together over medium heat on the stove-top for approximately 15 minutes, or until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
7. When the Turkey Meatballs are done cooking, remove from pan and serve with Tomato Sauce immediately. Enjoy!
Makes 12 Turkey Meatballs.