STAY FIT WITH A PRO
Hey Guys! I’m so excited to share some incredible, really kewl tips and ideas straight from Jeff Deperon, Fitness Professional, right here on KewlBites!
Jeff Deperon is one of the kindest, most inspiring and intelligent people that I’m privileged to work with and learn from. This celebrity fitness trainer/all-things-workout-and-more-guru is extremely well-known in the industry and if you’ve ever tuned into Ryan Seacrest’s popular morning radio-show, then you’ve heard the awesome exercise anecdotes straight from Jeff’s A-list client himself… That’s because Ryan and Jeff have worked together for years and you can hear the esteemed radio host’s passion for staying healthy with his equally esteemed personal trainer. The same goes for Deperon’s roster of other clients, all huge fans of the workout techniques he has created and pioneered.
When it comes to health, fitness, and nutrition, Jeff’s overall approach is packed with TONS of wisdom that he generously offers via his Twitter handle, @JeffDeperon (www.Twitter.com/JeffDeperon). There, you’ll find a unique outlook when it comes to feeling your best. Below, we’ve included a sampling of these fantastic 140-max-character snippets of Jeff’s outstanding advice, which help us stay in step and pack a punch with a veteran of best-selling magazines, top-rated entertainment programs (think Access Hollywood!), and countless devoted clients and fans who know that this certified personal trainer is the best!
1. “Make the choice for a better healthier life, once ur on a roll, its like a great exiting adventure and great self discovery-So Jump into it”
2. “One of our biggest health challenges is lack of rest and sleep.The body repairs while ur sleep. Allow urself to get as much rest as you need”
In addition to working out with Jeff, I recently had the chance to sit down with him and talk about some really important issues. Check it out below!
1. What made you want to live a healthy lifestyle?
I was born in a rural community in Brazil. I grew up learning how to respect and coexist with the environment. We ate fresh and organic foods, played outdoors and learned how to enjoy nature and what it has to offer.
2. What are the key essentials you believe contribute to living a healthy lifestyle?
Knowledge plays a great factor. If you research the benefits and impact that a healthy lifestyle can have on your life achievements, successes and fulfillment, you’ll appreciate it.
3. You have a special technique you use in your training program. Tell me about it!
I use a blend of ancient martial arts techniques that I have modernized to our times, along with Pilates inspired movements and swimming simulating moves, to keep the muscles long, healthy and the mind focus. I also work muscle groups instead of isolating them, to prevent injuries and to fire more muscles, keeping the metabolism working at its best.
4. Can you recommend a few exercises that do not require a gym membership?
Deep-push ups-free weights lunges, squats, running, jogging, brisk walking-jumping rope-cycling-isometrics-etc. Playing a group sport activity.
5. What is the proper way to balance a weekly workout in terms of strength training and cardio?
2 or 3 days of strength training alternating with 2 days of cardiovascular exercise, 1 day practice your favorite sport, and 1 day rest.
6. How do the choices we make when it comes to food, eating, and nutrition affect our workouts?
In order to have optimal results from working out one must have a nutritious diet. The body needs to produce energy and at rest, to recover. A proper diet with lots of leafy greens, legumes, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, fat and fruits provides one with the essential minerals, aminos and vitamins needed.
7. Do you have a favorite healthy treat or snack?
Cut an apple in a half, spread 1 or 2 spoons of almond butter on top of it.
8. Do you believe that stretching is important? If so, what are the benefits of it?
Stretching relaxes the mind and gives the body a tune-up, it should be part of our daily life. Its benefits are essential to a healthy workout regimen and lifestyle: increases the range of motion, develop body awareness, reduce muscle tension, help prevent injuries, etc.
9. What is a myth about working out that you can share and debunk?
If you train longer and harder than anyone, you stand a good chance of becoming better then they. Almost never. You’ll overtrain yourself every time you try. Smart work is what it takes, not hard nor long workouts, is the only way to go.
10. Are any pieces of workout equipment that you believe are necessary to purchase for use at home?
A balance ball, medicine ball, free weights, jump rope and floor mat.
11. Do you eat on a schedule (for example, 3 meals and 3 snacks a day), at specific times of the day?
I believe one should eat 3 main meals a day always at the same time, snacking when needed. Dinner should be the lighter of the 3 meals.
12. What would be your #1 suggestion to anyone trying to start a workout program?
When you start a nutrition plan and workout regimen, set small goals, when you accomplish it, set another one and so on. Every time you achieve your goal it feels great. This sense of victory keeps the workouts motivating, positive, looking forward.