kewl southwest grilled chicken skewers
what you need:
• 2 skinless, boneless, marinated chicken breasts, cubed (KewlTip: Slice your chicken breasts into small, thin cubes! This way, they cook best. For the Southwestern Marinade for Chicken, see below.)
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced into square chunk
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced into square chunks
• 1 red onion, cubed
• 1 squash, sliced into rounds
• 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
• 4 cherry tomatoes
• 4 baby portabella halves (2 baby portabella mushrooms, havled)
• 1 pineapple, cubed into chunks
• 1 mango, cubed into chunks
• 1 lime, quartered into wedges
• extra virgin olive oil spray (for spraying the grill / grill pan in order to prevent sticking during cooking)
what you need for the SOUTHWESTERN MARINADE FOR CHICKEN (to make this marinade, see instructions below):
• ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
• ½ cup of fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 ½ tbsp of fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp of honey
• 1 tsp of fresh minced gingerroot
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
what you need for the HONEY-LIME GLAZE FOR SKEWERED FRUITS (to make this glaze, see instructions below):
• honey, to taste
• fresh lime juice, to taste
what you need for the GARLIC OIL FOR SKEWERED VEGETABLES (to make this flavored oil, see instructions below):
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
• sea salt, to taste
• ground black pepper, to taste
what to do:
1. Marinate cubed chicken breasts in the refrigerator for at least two hours in advance of cooking. (See above for instructions to make the Southwestern Marinade for Chicken.) KewlTip: Marinate the chicken in a plastic zip-top bag, and place the bag in a bowl or plastic container. This helps to prevent spills or leakages of the marinade in the kitchen or refrigerator
2. Assemble a variety of skewers. For some, use an array of chicken, bell peppers, onion, squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms (chicken and vegetable skewers). For others, thread onto the skewers the pineapple chunks, mango chunks, and lime wedges (chicken and tropical fruits skewer).
3. Using a brush, lightly coat the vegetables on the chicken and vegetables skewers with the garlic oil. Alternatively, lightly coat the fruits on the chicken and fruits skewers with the honey-lime glaze.
4. Place all skewers on a grill or grill pan set over medium heat and sprayed extra virgin olive oil for approximately 5-6 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the vegetables and fruits are tender.
how to make the kewl southwestern marinade for chicken:
Mix together (or combine in a food processor) all ingredients for the marinade–extra virgin olive oil, fresh cilantro leaves, fresh lime juice, honey, gingerroot, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
how to make the honey-lime glaze for skewered fruits:
Mix the honey and lime juice together until thoroughly combined.
how to make the garlic oil for skewered vegetables:
Mix the extra virgin olive oil, minced fresh garlic, sea salt, and ground black pepper until thoroughly combined.