kewl candied roasted butternut squash
what you need:
• 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
what to do:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. On baking sheet, toss squash with canola oil and salt. Roast squash 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine maple syrup, cinnamon, and allspice. After 15 minutes, remove squash from oven and drizzle in maple syrup mixture. Toss to coat.
4. Roast 18 to 20 minutes more, or until caramelized and fork-tender. Serve along with pan-juices.
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings
KewlTip: For serving, pile this delicious butternut squash high inside hollowed-out acorn squash for an impressive, conversation-inducing centerpiece! Simply pick up two or three extra acorn squash at the grocery store; slice off their tops and bottoms so that they are balanced; cut them in half horizontally, remove the seeds, and hollow out the flesh; and roast the squash on a separate baking sheet until tender. You’ve got an edible vessel of flavor and fun – no need to use a plate to serve this yummy Kewl Candied Roasted Butternut Squash! Kids will love this creative presentation, and each guest can claim their own in-squash portion.