kewl masala chai tea latté
what you need:
• 3 cups water
• 1 tablespoon fennel seed
• 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh gingerroot
• 15 whole cloves
• 14 whole allspice
• 9 whole green cardamom pods
• 2 pink peppercorns
• 4 cinnamon sticks
• 2 bags unflavored, decaffeinated white tea
• 1/2 cup nonfat skim milk
• honey or other sweetener, to taste, if desired
• foamed nonfat skim milk (KewlTip: Quickly beat nonfat milk with a whisk or electric stand mixer fitted with its whisk attachment in order to create a light fluffy, frothy, foamy nonfat topping to spoon over this Chai Tea that will take you right back to your favorite coffeehouse!), for garnish, if desired
what to do:
1. Pour water into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat on the stovetop.
2. Place the fennel seed, cloves, allspice, cardamom, and peppercorns into a mortar and lightly crush with a pestle.
3. Add the crushed spices into the simmering water. Add the cinnamon sticks and stir. Recover and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the white tealeaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer 4-5 minutes.
5. Stir in the milk. Remove pot from heat and pour tea through a fine strainer to capture and discard cooked spices and
direct liquid into a large teapot or heatproof pitcher, or evenly divide among two serving mugs. Add honey or other sweetener, if desired, and garnish with foamed milk.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Yields 2 servings.