simmered + saucy apple / pear / vanilla bean compote
what you need:
• 2 pounds fresh Bosc pears, peeled, quartered & cored
• 2 pounds fresh sweet red apples, peeled, quartered & cored
• ½ cup freshly brewed decaffeinated black vanilla-flavored tea (steeped in hot water)
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• zest of ½ fresh medium orange
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground allspice
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• seeds scraped from 2 vanilla beans
what to do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Once liquid has begun to boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes, or until apples and pears are fork-tender.
3. Uncover pot. Continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until liquid has reduced to thick syrup.
4. Use a potato masher or the edge of a wooden or metal spoon to break down the apples and pears. Mash until chunky or continue until the mixture has become a smooth, uniform puree.
5. Serve and enjoy! This compote can be stored in airtight container(s) in the refrigerator.