kewl belgian waffles
• 2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1/4 cup raw sugar
• 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
• 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 4 egg whites
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• canola oil spray OR nonstick cooking spray
• maple syrup, if desired, for serving
• additional waffle toppings, if desired, for serving
what to do:
1. Preheat waffle iron to medium heat (follow manufacturer instructions).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – the whole-wheat flour, raw sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate, medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients – the nonfat milk, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the larger bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until there are no lumps in the batter.
5. When waffle iron is heated, thoroughly coat the interior top and bottom surfaces with canola oil spray OR nonstick cooking spray. Working in batches if necessary, pour the appropriate amount of batter into the wells of the waffle iron, close lid, and bake until golden brown, crispy, and cooked through (follow manufacturer instructions).
6. Remove waffles when finished and place on a heatproof plate or serving dish.
7. Garnish with maple syrup and additional toppings, if desired.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 8 to 10 medium square waffles.