My HOT CHOCO-LATTÉ brings you all the comforts of a warm, decadent and delicious drink… minus the overloads! Starring rich dark chocolate and topped off with foamy, whipped nonfat milk, this steamy hug-in-a-mug is the perfect way to thaw out during chilly winter!
what you need:
• 3 cups nonfat skim milk, plus extra for garnish (Quickly beat nonfat milk with a whisk or electric stand mixer fitted with its whisk attachment in order to create a light fluffy, frothy, foamy nonfat topping to spoon over this Hot Choco-latté that will transport you right to your favorite coffeehouse!)
• 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3 tablespoons raw sugar
• 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• dark chocolate shavings, for garnish, if desired (optional)
• crushed peppermint candies, for garnish, if desired (optional)
what to do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium high heat on the stovetop.
2. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until chocolate has melted and cocoa and sugar have dissolved, whisking the mixture occasionally and recovering the saucepan with its lid, ensuring that the mixture does not begin to boil over vigorously.
3. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Divide evenly among 3-4 serving mugs and garnish evenly with dark chocolate shavings and crushed peppermint candies, if using, or reserve extra liquid in heatproof containers in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave as necessary. KewlTip: Spoon over dollops of frothed nonfat skim milk in foamy form for a decadent garnish and lightened-up whipped topping before taking a sip!
4. Serve and enjoy!
Yields 3-4 servings.
KewlTip: Go festive! Celebrate a special occasion or savor a rich, luxurious moment with a sprinkle of shimmering edible gold leaf across the smooth surface of these foamed-up Hot Choco-lattés!