sunny oven roasted citrus chicken
Check out my first Roasted Chicken! With this delicious combo of fresh citrus fruits like orange slices, lemon wedges and grapefruit sections this Roaster Rocks!
what you need:
• 1 (4-pound) fresh whole organic roasting chicken
• 1/2 medium orange, skin on and flesh sliced into 4-6 equal-sized segments
• 1/2 medium grapefruit, skin on and flesh sliced into 4-6 equal-sized segments
• 1/2 medium lemon, skin on and flesh sliced into 4-6 equal-sized segments
• 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 2 large or 3 medium oranges)
• zest of 1 medium orange (zest one of the oranges used for juicing, reserving only the bright-orange rind and discarding the remaining white pith layer of skin below)
• 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
• 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 3 medium shallots, skin discarded and flesh sliced into thin rings
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
what to do:
1. Place chicken into a heatproof baking dish, providing enough space for the chicken to be submerged in the remaining ingredients on all sides.
2. In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the orange juice and zest, chicken broth, parsley, garlic, and honey to create a marinade. Pour oven chicken and into baking dish. The liquid will not cover the chicken. If parsley clumps together on surface of chicken, evenly spread across the top of the chicken using the back of a spoon.
3. Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over the surface of the chicken, and the remaining tablespoon into the liquid in the dish.
4. Sprinkle sliced shallots across the entire surface of the chicken and into liquid. Arrange the orange, grapefruit, and lemon segments around the perimeter of the dish, in the liquid, and in the spaces where the wings and legs meet the body.
5. Cover chicken with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for between 1 hour, 30 minutes to 2 hours.
6. Remove chicken from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Allow chicken to return to room temperature while the oven is heating.
7. Roast the chicken for approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes to 1 hour, 45 minutes, or until the juices are clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife between a leg and thigh.
8. Quickly baste chicken with pan juices every 30 minutes or redistribute liquid over the entire surface of the chicken, including the wings and legs, using a large spoon. Immediately reclose oven door after each basting to maintain heat.
9. When finished, remove chicken and whole citrus segments to a serving platter. Cover chicken with aluminum foil tightly and allow to rest for about 15 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, pour pan juices into a saucepan and boil, uncovered, over medium high heat on the stovetop for roughly 10-15 minutes, or until juices have reduced and thickened slightly (optional). If not completing this step, serve the pan juices on the side as a complement to the chicken.
11. Slice chicken or serve in large pieces with pan juices on the side. Enjoy!