Sweet Potato Pie Parfait
Sweet Potato Pie is one of my favorite fall/holiday treats! This new recipe takes a classic, pie-shaped dessert, and flips it into a kewl, lightened-up, delectable + super delicious treat. With crushed graham crackers and chopped pecans, each bite is just as luscious and special as the captivating presentation of this indulgent, seasonal fall favorite!
what you need:
• 2 pounds fresh sweet potatoes (approximately 2 large sweet potatoes)
• 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
• 1 ¼ cups raw sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 egg whites
• 24 graham cracker sheets, coarsely crushed
• 1 ½ cups low-fat whipped topping or homemade whipped cream
• ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped, toasted pecans
what to do:
1. In a large pot filled with water, boil potatoes over high heat about 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove and allow to cool. Peel, slice in half lengthwise, and then slice horizontally into ½” crescents.
2. In a food processor, combine sweet potatoes, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, and egg whites. Process until smooth and completely combined.
3. Transfer sweet potato mixture to an ungreased 9” circular glass pie dish. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
4. Into each of six short parfait glasses, add one-sixth of the crushed graham crackers, spreading evenly across the bottom. Follow with one-sixth of the sweet potato mixture. Top each with ¼ cup whipped topping or whipped cream, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pecans.
YIELD: 6 servings
KewlTip: Gild these decadent, parfaits with a sprinkling (or more, if desired!) of edible 24 karat gold leaf for a truly indulgent treat! It goes to show – these delicious desserts will become a treasure in your festive holiday arsenal (please pardon the pun!).