Roasted Pear, Pecan and Pomegranate Salad
Shake up your salad plate with this super delicious combination of caramelized roasted pears, crunchy maple-toasted walnuts, and tangy pomegranate seeds which burst with juicy freshness! With Bosc pears perfectly in season, this salad rocks your weeknight or holiday table!
what you need:
- 2 medium Bosc pears, sliced in half lengthwise and cored, skin and stems left on
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 3 cups mixed greens lettuce
For the dressing:
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated orange zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
what to do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly brush with olive oil to coat. Lightly brush cut-side of pears lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut-side up on baking sheet and bake about 45 minutes, or until caramelized and fork-tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing. Bring pomegranate juice to a simmer in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Simmer, uncovered, approximately 7 minutes, or until reduced by half. Chill in refrigerator until cold. Combine pomegranate juice, olive oil, honey, champagne vinegar, orange zest, and salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Toast the pecans. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Line a separate baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with canola oil. Toss pecans with maple syrup on baking sheet and bake about 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble the salads, evenly spread lettuce amongst each of four serving plates. Place half of a pear on the beds of lettuce on each plate. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons maple-toasted pecans, 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, and 1 tablespoon bleu cheese. Drizzle with dressing as desired.
YIELD: 4 servings